Friday, July 12, 2013

Don't Make Me Punch Someone

Woah! Didn't mean to fall off the face of the planet there for a few days. Work's been hella busy and blah, blah, excuse, excuse. Life. Happens.

Anyway... nothing much new to report.

Running is still nonexistent which makes me SAD and ANGRY and GRUMPY. Add that to all these wonderful preggo hormones and thank your lucky stars you're not the Hubs the past few weeks. Poor guy.

Anyway, this is how I feel lately:



Argh! The most frustrating part (for my non logical brain right now) is that everyone I know who finds out I'm pregnant is like "Oh, well you're not running anymore are you??" Because clearly they are my doctor and know that it CAN'T be healthy for a woman to run while pregnant <insert clear sarcasm>. Anyway- I want to yell back at each and every one of them "YES! I AM! And, I'm ROCKING IT!!" but, I can't. And, it's NOT because I'm all preggo. It's this DAMN KNEE. Arrrrrgh. I know, I know. I'm being ridiculous. Again- be glad you're not the Hubs. He has to deal with this crazy 24/7 and can't just "X" out of the Internet window.

Back to the point... of COURSE when I tell people I'm still working out a lot, but not RUNNING right now due to some knee pain, NOT due to being knocked up, they tell me about how bad running is for the knees. Again, because they are a doctor (and a running expert).

At this point I have to just walk away before getting in a fist fight at 17 weeks pregnant. The Hubs would not be a happy guy if he had to bail me outta jail.



So, what am I doing about this knee pain, so that I can run again (obviously), which will lead to an all around happier Meagan (thus a happier Hubs) and me not punching anyone in the face because my answer will be able to change to "YES! I AM RUNNING!"?

1. Resting... a lot. In the past 2 1/2 weeks I've only run once (the Firecracker 5 Mile Race) and it was a slower, easy run. But, yes, there was pain. Ugh. I've been sticking to non-running (aka: not nearly as much fun) sweaty activities. The elliptical and I are now BFF's. Spinning is a go-to and even strength has become semi-regular.
Me and the 8-Minute Arms crew are on a first name basis now.

2. Foam rolling. And, foam rolling some more. And more and more and more (you get the point).
Here's the thing about foam rolling right now, though... it's REALLY awkward and uncomfortable. It doesn't HURT (I mean, any more than it's supposed to in that hurts so good kinda way), but it does make my belly feel weird and just... off. As my belly keeps growing, I'm sure it's going to be harder and harder to foam roll so I'm hoping I can stick with it long enough to be magically cured before the belly gets much bigger. Hear that, knee?? You've got a time table here!

3...

Wait.... that's about it.



Clearly, there's a lot I have not been doing, but probably should. Things like:

1. Icing.

Oh, the good old days of compression gear, icing, and alcohol. What a great combo! Hard to believe this pic is like a year old. Crazy how times have changed!

Anyway... I used to be REALLY good about icing whatever parts hurt, but have been mega slacking on this area. I've iced ONCE in the last 2 1/2 weeks. Not exactly the kind of consistency change or recovery is made of.


2. The strength moves the Athletic Trainer talked to me about the last time my knees were being jerk faces. I haven't done these at all and while I think the foam rolling had a WAY bigger impact on recovery last time, I'm sure these didn't HURT and I need to start doing them. Like, now.


3. Trying to run more often. Ok, this might sound weird... but, I haven't even TRIED to run any more often because I figure if it hurts to walk, it's gonna hurt to run. Well, true (duh). Buuuuut--- if it doesn't make it hurt any WORSE, why not run (while continuing to do all the fix-it tricks, I promise)! I'm not talking anything crazy... but, a quick 3-4 miler or something here or there.


So, I'm going to try to run this weekend. Somewhere in the less than 5 mile range.


It'll look like that except in about a quarter as much clothes.

Hopefully the heat'll cooperate. I anticipate LOTS of walking breaks and sloooow miles and I'm 100% OK with that. I just wanna get out there, see how the knee feels, and remember what it feels like to have that "Weeeeee!!!! I LOVE RUNNING!!!!" feeling.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Whenever someone tells me running is bad for my knees I say, "well, so is being overweight so I am choosing my 'bad' and it might as well be something I enjoy and makes me feel good about myself." I'm super proud of you! Keep up the great work and your running will be back in order in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor thing. I feel like if I don't run I want to kill people too. It makes me very angry and not fun to be around. Were you able to log any miles over the weekend? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete