Thursday, December 19, 2013

Bailey: One Month

Bailey is well beyond one month at this point... a whopping 5 weeks, 4 days! But, we'll rewind and pretend she just turned one month! 

Age: One Month
It's BEYOND crazy that at 4 weeks, she technically wasn't even supposed to be here yet. Like, my brain cannot wrap itself around that fact. I can't believe she's already a month old, too! Time is FLYING by!!!


Weight: 6 pounds, 4 ounces
Height: 20 inches

Girl is growing everyday! Doctor would like a bit more weight gain, so we have another appointment before our usual 2-month check up to check her weight. To be honest, I'm 100% ok with her weight gain thus far. She's gained every week consistently, so I'm happy. I think she just might be a slow gainer which is not all that abnormal for both preemies and breast fed babies. We'll see what the doc says next week.


Sleep: About 2-3 hour stretches

The doctor has us on a strict no-more-than-3-hour schedule for feedings, as she needs to pack on the pounds. So, we've never really given her the opportunity to "sleep through the night." I have to wake her up pretty frequently to eat, so I think she'd at least go a bit longer than 3 hours at a time. Who knows though. She loves to sleep, when she wants to. If she doesn't want to sleep, girl will have nothing to do with it. To sleep-sleep (at night), she must be swaddled, even though she fights it. 

Generally at night I've been nursing her to sleep (I know some people say not to do that... whatever. It works right now!), but for her naps during the day, she puts herself to sleep in either the vibrating seat (usually w/o the vibration turned on) or the swing (again, usually w/o the swing turned on) or in my arms when we're snuggling. She doesn't need total quiet or lights off. Overall, I'd say she's a pretty good sleeper. 


Awake Time:
Bailey can stay awake for LONG stretches, if she wants. She hasn't really fallen into a "routine" at this point... but, sometimes she'll sleep between feedings, while sometimes she'll stay awake the ENTIRE stretch between feedings. Crazy, girl! While some people may say if she's awake that much it'll effect her night time sleep, I haven't found this to be true... yet. But, again- we're waking every 2-3 hours all. the. time. so I might just haven't had the chance to see it effect it yet. We'll see. 


Nursing/Eating: 
It's going really well! Like I said, she's gained weight each week (even if the silly doctor doesn't think it's ENOUGH of a gain). She feeds every 2-3 hours for about 10-18 minutes per side, each side each feeding. So, we nurse 1 side for about 10-18 minutes, change her diaper, then do the other side which in total takes about 40 minutes. Then, 2-3 hours later (counting from when we START each feeding... so, really it's more like 80-100 minutes later, max) we do it all again. 
Clearly this pic has nothing to do with nursing... but, HOW CUTE ARE BABY SANTA FEET?!?!? I die.

I've gone to a free breast feeding support group 1-2 times a week each week since we've been released. I would HIGHLY suggest doing this if you have the opportunity. Though nursing has been going well, it's SO helpful to talk to other b-feeding moms, the lactation consultants, and to get her weighed so often. Seriously. Love these meetings. The lactation consultants all comment on how well Bailey's doing, especially for being a preemie. She's got a great latch and goes to town like a champ. Sometimes I have to wake her up to make sure she's getting a full feeding, but generally she does pretty good with this too. Overall, I am THRILLED with how b-feeding is going. 

I should note we are using a nipple shield. TMI? Oh well. Anyway-- I credit a LOT of our b-feeding success to using this. It protects my nipples so they aren't crazy sore (which I know is a big complaint of a lot of women) and helps her latch easier. The lactation consultants suggested it when we first tried b-feeding in the NICU and it's worked like a charm. Is it a pain in the ass because I lose the stupid things (seriously-- can't they make those neon pink and glow in the dark?!?!) and because I have to clean them all the time, but whatever. They work. I'm totally OK with them. 

I'm also still pumping 3-4 times a day. So, there hasn't been ONE DAY since she was born when I haven't pumped. For the record, I HATE THE PUMP!!! But, it helps keep my supply up and I've stock piled a pretty decent frozen milk supply for when I go back to work.

She is getting 1 small bottle a day with an iron and vitamin D supplement. She was introduced to a pacifier in the NICU, so she's never had any issues with nipple confusion or taking a bottle and then going right to the breast. Again, I think the nipple shield also helps with this, as it's much more similar to a bottle nipple than a real nipple. Works for us!


Likes: Snuggling, naps, music, spending time with Daddy & Sadie
I have much "better" pics of them... but, this one CRACKS me up and I loooove it!!!

She also LOVES looking at lights. Christmas tree lights, a lamp, whatever. She just loves lights. She loves her swing, too. 


Dislikes: Baths (I think she gets cold), diaper changes (again with the cold), and being naked. Girl HATES all things involved with taking any clothes off. Oh, and she also HATES getting into her car seat, though she likes actually being in it after she gets all strapped in. Goof. 
(This is one of her professional newborn pics... LOVE them!!!)


Hit or Miss: Bailey is kinda indifferent on being warn. We borrowed a Moby wrap from a friend and some days Bailey loves it, some days she wants nothing to do with it. 


She's also pretty hit or miss about tummy time. Again, some days she seems to like it, some days she SCREAMS her head off. Girl just can't make up her mind. 
Sadie's not sure about this whole squirming, noisy baby-thing. For the record: Sadie has been GREAT with her. She sniffs her a lot and still isn't quite sure if Bailey's here to stay, but she's been great with her. They're already best friends. 


Special Moment(s): 
I mean, there were a gazillion! Accidental smiles, cute (they're cute when they're your childs, I promise!!) tooting noises, snuggles... so many!!!! Every moment, even the blood curdling screams (which happen... girl HATES getting that damn diaper changed!) are special moments that I know will be gone before I know it. This time is SO special!

We did get to experience her first Thanksgiving when she was 17 days old. 
Photo-bombed by my nephew! 

She also got to meet all her Aunts and Uncles and cousins!!! She loves being held by her Aunts and her grandparents!!





I just cannot believe she's already a month old!! Seriously. I know everyone says it, but turns out they're all right: TIME FLIES BY!!! I can't believe how fast it's gone. It makes me SO SAD to think my leave is already a third over and this special time is getting closer to being over. I can't even think about that or I tear up. Ok, stop thinking about it, Meagan.


So, that's our little Bailey-bug at one month. Love this little girl more than I will ever be able to explain.


1 comment:

  1. Sweet, sweet bailey-bug
    All these pictures are all over my fridge. And I love them.
    And your ridiculously cute little family.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete