Friday, December 20, 2013

First Workout!!!

Yesterday I had my 6-week postpartum check-up appointment. You can imagine how happy I was when the doctor gave me the all clear to workout again! WAHOO!!!

I immediately had thoughts of running race through my head. I could just picture myself lace up my Brooks and hit the streets with my iPod and not a care in the world, knocking out an easy double digit run. 

Yeaaaaaaaah. Then I snapped back to reality. 

Problem #1 with my little daydream: I DO have a care in the world. Lots of cares, actually. My #1 care right now has NOTHING to do with working out or getting back in shape. As a matter of fact, I'm actively trying NOT to lose any more weight to help keep my breastmilk supply good n' plentiful. My #1 care right now is BAILEY. Simple as that. 


Problem #2: I haven't run in a WHILE. Since October 11, 2013 to be exact, and even then it was a SLOOOOW 2 mile run. That's OVER 2 months of not a single step resembling a run. To think I'm going to churn out double digits is just plan stupid. 

Problem #3: How the heck would I possibly have time to get out and run right now? I have a NEWBORN! I'm alone with Bailey-bug all day and when the Hubs gets home at 5:30ish, I'd MUCH rather spend time with him and Bailey and Sadie (yes, the dog counts!!) as a family than alone... even if it means not running right now. 

So, my daydream quickly died. And, you know what... I was totally OK with that. I'd LOVE to go for a run right now. I can't lie about that. But, I'd much rather be doing what I'm doing. Will I eventually get our for a run, yes. Of course. Maybe even this weekend. We'll see. But, am I chomping at the bit? Nope. Not really. When it happens, it happens. 

But, that doesn't mean I can't do ANY workout. While I don't want to give up any Bailey time to workout, girl does nap. Now, in the past I might nap with her, but lately I've actually been getting relatively decent sleep (spoiler for her 6-week update!), so I don't need quite as many naps. And, while her naps may not be the longest and who knows if she'll start crying mid-way through, I figured it was worth a shot. Worst that could happen would be I'd stop. Simple. So, while I can't get outside (and I don't own a treadmill... drat!) for a run during her naps, I can do SOMETHING.

So, I did. Today I had my first workout in 6 weeks. I'd love to say I was smiling the whole time and that it was easy peasy and I jumped right back to the fitness level I was at pre-pregnancy-- that would be a BIG, FAT LIE. I'm WAY outta shape. Like, WAAAAAY outta shape. And, that's OK. Of course I am! Hello. I just HAD A BABY. I'm SUPPOSED to be outta shape. Even though I stayed active and worked out through my pregnancy (which, for the record, I DO think helped me stay in decent shape... or at least better than had I not done that), I still haven't done ANYTHING resembling a workout in 6 weeks (unless you could carrying her in the car seat, which is freaking heavy!). So, NO! I did not jump back in where I left off. DUH! I KNEW I wouldn't, which I think really helped me not be crushed at just how tough the workout was. Who knew having realistic expectations would pay off? Learn something new everyday.

So, what did I do? Not a lot, to be honest. But, I think it was a great start and way to ease me SLOWLY back into things....

20 minutes of a sorta total-body toning workout.


Lots of lunges, squats, arm work (bi's, tri's, etc.), leg lifts, crunches, etc. I focused on doing more than one move at once, to make the most of my limited time. For example, instead of doing just squats, I did squats and bicep curls at the same time. 

I even did some planks. I could BARELY hold a plank for one minute before my arms were shaking so bad I thought they'd fall off. 

I finished the workout off with 3 minutes of running (ok... more like fast walking) up and down the stairs. 
Don't worry, Hubs-- I was careful and used the handrail. I didn't slip or fall once! 

This little, 20-minute workout had be sweating like crazy... which actually kinda felt great... it's been WEEKS since I sweated from a workout and not just from hot flashes at night (speaking of-- WHY DID NO ONE WARN ME ABOUT CRAZY NIGHT SWEATS POST-BABY?!?!). To say this workout kicked my ass would be an understatement. I will most definitely be crazy sore tomorrow. Confession? I'm kinda looking forward to it! Again, it's been WEEKS since I felt that great-workout soreness. 

So, I'll say workout #1 was a success! Will I get a workout in everyday? Nope. Not even close. Is that my goal? NOPE. Not even a little. I'm hoping for a few times a week at first. But, really I have very little expectations. My only GOAL right now is to stay healthy and enjoy every, single moment I have while I'm home on leave with Bailey. I can't believe 6 weeks have already flown by. Working out is pretty far down on the priority list... and, that's OK. 

1 comment:

  1. I knew would run faster than you one day. Muahahahahahahaha...
    I kid! I kid!
    I can barely do those 20 min work-out video things, so the fact that you can do it so quickly after HAVING A BABY is... unfair, and lame, and etc, etc... :)

    ReplyDelete