Tuesday, February 26, 2013

That Time I Accidently Ran 17 Miles on a Monday

I know you aren't going to believe this, but it was an accident. Promise.

The day started out innocently enough. 4:55am alarm went off and the LAST thing I wanted to do after a night of tossing and turning was get up, but I took my own advice, told myself I had no other option and was up.

I got to the gym by my normal 5:30am and since there are no group fitness classes on Monday's and since my legs were feeling mighty fresh after last weeks milage dip, I decided to hit the ol' t-mill for a run. I had no real plan in mind. I just kinda adjusted the speed every 30 seconds or minute (hey, I get bored quickly and easily)  to keep things interesting.

This looks much messier and broken up than it really was. See, after the first mile I had to jump off and run to the bathroom. Then, when I got back "my" treadmill wasn't open anymore. Seriously. It was 5:30am! There were only like 2 people in the whole gym and this person had to go and jump on my machine??? Come on now! Anyway-- so, then I did 2 more. Then, my machiene became open, so I jumped over and did 4 more. Then, I was going to be done. It was my normal time to get ready for work. I stopped the treadmill and took a swig from my water bottle. Then, something took over me and before I really knew what was happening I was doing 1 more mile. I'm telling you, something took over me. Anyway- those miles FLEW by. 8 miles before 8am. LOVE.

So, then my lunch hour came. I didn't have a TON of time... 60 minutes, including time to change and to get back to my office. I was going to do the elliptical. I swear. I was. But, they were all taken. What's a girl to do? I had my iPad with me, so I didn't want to do the track, so I hit the treadmill. I started an episode of Dawson's Creek and assumed I'd do like 3 miles and call it a day.  
Somehow that happened. Seriously. I was so out of it, I didn't even realize what was happening. The episode ended 42 minutes later and I was almost at 5 miles so I called it at 5 and then RACED to the locker room and back to my office. Good thing I don't mind a dry-shampoo and baby wipe "shower".
Yes, this is from December, but it was FAR too classic to never share. My true friends know me so well.
I was pretty stoked at this point. 13 miles for a Monday?? Excellent!
Then, mother nature had to go and butt in.
This doesn't give a good picture, but I forgot to take a pic of the forecast (who knew it was so hard to find yesterday's forecast online?!?!), so this'll have to do. See that high?? 46-freaking-degrees. In February. Plus, it was sunny with little wind. Simply too good to pass up. I mean-- really. What kind of dog-owner would I be if I didn't take Sadie out for a while in that weather???
So, after work-- out we went. The Hubs was working late, so it was me and her. I swear, I only planned on 2 miles of run/walking. VERY relaxed. I swear. Somehow, Sadie had different plans.
She was LOVING it and I was having a great time with her and had nothing else to do. My legs actually felt surprisingly fresh still, so I just went with it. Girl was FLYING... for her. I mean, we averaged a 9:35 mile/pace WITH sevvvveral stop-and-sniff-everything-like-crazy stops.

So, if you're doing the math... 8 AM miles + 5 Lunch miles + 4 PM miles equals...

The Hubs got home about 45 minutes after Sadie and I did. Just enough time for me to give Sadie a bath (it was pretty muddy/snowy out there and girl got crazy dirty) and have leftovers for dinner. Then, I spent the rest of the night curled up with the Hubs on the couch watching TV with a ginormous hug of hot chocolate with far, far too many mini-marshmallows in it. Perfection.

And that ends the story of how I accidentally ran 17 unplanned miles on a random Monday.

Totally normal, right???


  1. WOW!!!! I am super impressed with 17 miles! That is awesome in a million ways. How do you feel today?

    1. Thanks!! It was super random, but felt GREAT! The next day I was a little sore, but not too bad. I actually even ran a few more miles. :)