Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Combo of Sweat and Britney Spears

Today started out rough.

I woke up at 3am, wide awake. Like, could not fall back asleep. I toss and turned and grumbled and whined to myself for over an hour before finally dozing back off around 4:30am. Yeaaaaah, that 5am alarm clock? Not happening. Which of course meant my 5:30am Signature Strength class wasn't happening. First time I've missed this class in over a month. Ugh.

Now, of course, I'm beating myself up about it. Enter mental dialogue:
Why did you sleep in? You're in training now, you can't just SKIP workouts. OMG. You're so lazy. You totally could have gotten up. You shouldn't skip a workout unless you HAVE to skip one because you have something else to do. Sleep isn't as important as the workout was. Ugh! What is wrong with you? You SAY you want this marathon, so why would you just choose to throw away a workout like that? Now, you're NEVER going to finish that marathon and it's going to be SOOOO embarrassing.

And on, and on, and on.

Which of course led to me not being able to fall back asleep, so I really should have just gotten the F up and gone to the gym. Or, ya know... not mental berated myself for over an hour.

Yup, I'm a tad on the crazy side.

Ok, ok. I snapped myself out of this line of thinking quickly and reminded myself when I woke up at the more sane hour of 6:30 that it's JUST ONE WORKOUT. Now, if I said this ALL THE TIME, it'd be one thing. But, I don't. I really don't. So, I have to cut myself some slack. I'm working on it. It's a process. A slow process. But, I'm working on it.

Anyway-- I got to work at 8am in a better mood and in desperate need of loooooots of coffee after the not so hot morning.

Much better.

I did 6.25 miles during my "lunch". The run wasn't great. In fact, I didn't want to do it. I guess I just wanted to stay in kinda a meh-mood. Or, at least, I didn't want to do anything to pull myself out of that mood. But, I did. Skipping one workout is one thing, skipping two in the same day? Not gonna happen unless I'm deathly ill or crazy busy, neither of which were the case today. So, to the indoor track I went.

6.25 miles later, I felt much, much better. The first 4 miles were slow. Very slow. I picked it up and did fartleks for the second two by sprinting at random. Then, a quarter mile cool down to a lil' classic Britney Spears. The combo of the sweat and Britney left me in a great mood.

So, there it is. Now, I'm in a great mood. Crazy how even a not-great workout can STILL pull us outta a funk.

Thank you, endorphins. You F-ing rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment