Friday, June 8, 2012

Mental Mo-Jo, Pasta, and Weekend Plans

Yesterday I was in one of THOSE moods. Where anything and everything anyone did bugged me to no end. Maybe it’s because I’m a girl and mother nature is having her way with me this week. Maybe it’s because I haven’t been sleeping great. Maybe it’s because I slapped off my alarm this morning and skipped the gym so I was endorphin-less all day. Maybe it’s because I had some Chinese food for lunch that just didn’t agree with my tummy. Maybe it’s because I knew I had a dentist appointment that afternoon and, after this year, I HATE THE DENTIST. Maybe it’s because it was Thursday. Who knows. I was just GRUMPY.

Luckily, I got to leave the office at 3:30. Unluckily for me it was to go to the dentist. Luckily (again!) for me, I was in and out of the dentist by 4:15, it wasn’t that painful, and they didn’t even have to numb me so I could actually feel my entire face. Success!

Since I had some non-expected free time and since I bailed on the gym that morning, I decided to lace up the Brooks, slap on the Garmin and go for a HOT, late-afternoon run. I was only gonna do 5. That’s what my plan called for. But, it was one of THOSE runs. With each step I could feel the frustration of the day melting off me. 5 miles in, I just couldn’t stop. I did 2 more and loved every step. I stalked my Garmin and intentionally focused on staying around a 9:30 pace for miles 1-4. Mile 5 I wanted to pick it up a bit. Mile 6-7, back down to a 9:30-ish pace. My splits:
Mile 1: 9:33
Mile 2: 9:34
Mile 3: 9:26
Mile 4: 9:23
Mile 5: 9:18
Mile 6: 9:32
Mile 7: 9:29
Average pace: 9:29. 

I’d say that’s a full blown success. Thank you running-Gods for giving me a little of my mental mo-jo back after my 13.1 mile lashing.

After the run I felt good. Really good. The Hubs texted me that he had to work late, so I decided to hit a 6pm Spinning Class to avoid just laying on the couch bored all evening. The spinning class was pretty awesome, as well. Sweaty. Very, very sweaty. More sweaty than my 85* run just mere minutes before. And, I loved every sweaty second.

After I got home I was beyond hungry. I boiled up some water, heated up some left over sausage the Hubs made a while ago for home-made pizzas. Mixed it all up with some oh-so-fancy jarred marinara sauce and dinner was served. 15-minute meal Meagan style. 

Today’s been non-eventful. I started the day off with a solid 60-minutes on the elliptical. My marathon training plans calls for rest days on Friday, but since the Hubs and I are going out of town Saturday-Sunday for a wedding, I decided to swamp Friday’s rest day for Sunday’s cross-training day. I’ll still try to get tomorrow’s long run in before we hit the road (wedding’s 3 hours away). I’ll have to get up crazy early to get it in so we can make the 2:30 wedding, but it’ll be worth it. I have 10 on the schedule. I’ll be happy if I get 9 in. We’ll see.

Today is “Staff Appreciation Day” at work today, but that doesn’t really mean much. They provided “breakfast”… aka: doughnuts, pastries, muffins, and coffee. I snagged a Greek yogurt from my office and had that along with 1 teeeeny tiny… ok, totally normal sized, doughnut. So good. How are doughnuts just SO good?
Obviously this was pre-doughnut massacre.  

Then, best part of the day, I got a 5-minute “chair massage” for free from a local preventative medicine massage therapist. Best 5 minutes of the day. Hands down. They also had a big all University softball game, but I hit the campus gym for another hour elliptical session instead. I don’t have a glove (is that a normal thing for grown, non-softball playing adults to have) and the idea of standing directly in the 90* sunny (not a single cloud in the sky) heat in the middle of a dusty field was just not appealing. A sweaty elliptical session sounded much, much better.

Hope you all have a great weekend! We’re doing grocery shopping and maybe a RedBox tonight (we’re SO exciting) and then heading to Indianapolis for a wedding tomorrow. Happy Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment