Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Let's funk this up! (aka- best email advice ever)

This afternoon I get an email from one of my very best friends with the subject like "Let's funk this up!" I knew immediately that this would help pull me out of my funk and put a huge smile on my face. So, I decided to share in with you (with a few small changes, to avoid inside joke confusion and such) in case anyone else is combating a funk. So, below is her amazing email. If you'd like to be friends with her too because she's just THAT awesome, let me know. I'll hook you up. Actually, I won't. I'm way possessive of my friends and she's all mine. Hear that, MH?? You are mine. And I mean that in the least creepy way possible. :)
_____________________________________________________________


EMAIL: All is written by my friend MH to me, so the thoughts are hers. I take no responsibility.

To: Me (duh)
From: MH
Subject: Let's funk this up!

Date: Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM

So, as you already know I'm obsessed with you so I just got done reading your blog and saw that you are in a funk, so I did some googling and this is what I found, also you I've added some of my personal thoughts (you can find those in the italics) ......

Go for a walk - I'm not talking about a marathon here. If you can only manage a walk around the block you'll be better for it.  (I personally like this one. It's simple easy to do and doesn't take a lot of time, plus you can do some of the other things below while walking!)

Do a Random Act of Kindness - Stop feeling sorry for yourself and make someone else's day special. Afterwards, you will both feel better. (This is great! I suggest putting change in a soda machine, so that someone thinks they got a free soda when they buy one. I often do this, people love thinking that the cheated "the man" aka the soda machine, plus everyone loves new things.)

Clear out clutter - One of the quickest ways to generate new and fresh energy moving into my space is to clear away stagnant energies by throwing out useless materials. Tossing out trash may seem like work, but it is totally energizing once you get the hang of it. (I really don't agree with this, I hate cleaning, but what do I know? Maybe it will help, or maybe you'll find something you forgot you had, I do that often. That's always fun.)

Try a new recipe - We all get in ruts eating and preparing the same foods again and again. Maybe you won't like it... so what! Where's your adventuresome spirit? The whole idea is to get you out of a funk, right? (Matt will love this one too, if he's like me and likes to eat. I recently made a jello cake, it might change your life.)

Volunteer at a food pantry - Put yourself in a position of service to those who are less fortunate than you are. Your own worries will seem less troubling when you see firsthand the plight of others. (This sounds great though the description they provided makes it seem like you're just helping to make yourself feel better than them cause their life sucks.)

Hug a Tree - Spending time with nature is my favorite way to feel better. Put on your hiking boots and get lost for a couple hours near a babbling brook. If you can't get out of town, at least go for a barefoot run through the grasses in your yard. (Ok this one is weird, just straight up weird. But, I've never done it so who knows, it might be amazing.)

Change your bed sheets - Better yet, go out and purchase a new set of colorful bed linens to brighten up your bedroom. When is the last time you changed your linens anyway? If you let your routine weekly sheet change slip by then you're certainly in FUNK territory. Crisp, clean, and colorful bed linens to curl up inside at bedtime will offer comfort when you most need it. (Since being with the boy, I have realized that this is an obsession of mine, I change my sheets 3 times a week and make my bed before I sleep in it. It's super weird, but great at the same time.)

Spend quality time with a child - Take your niece/nephew or a neighbor's child out on a special outing to a zoo or playtime at a nearby park. Even a quick trip to get corn dogs and a root beer float will be appreciated. Children love it when adults give them special attention. Plus, you'll get the satisfaction of not only bringing about a joyful smile on a child's face, you'll be smiling too! (Kids are great! I'm not saying you should go kidnap one, but I'm sure there is one you can get access to, or maybe just go to a park or a chucky cheese?? Second thought, that might be creepy too.)

Pamper yourself - Do whatever it is that brings you the most joy. It might be indulging in a bubble bath, reading a saucy romance novel, or breaking out of your routine to go inline skating. Don't tell yourself that you don't deserve it. BECAUSE YOU DO. (This is a must!! No questions asked. DO IT!!!)

I hope this helps I miss you terribly!!! Love you!!!!!!!


_____________________________________________________________

Hope this helps any of you that might also be in a funk. I know it's gonna help me! Now, if you'll excuse me-- I'm off to hug a tree. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment