Thursday, October 4, 2012

Game Plan and Packing

Remember how I'm running a marathon in a few days? Oh yeah. Between all the work madness I would have almost forgotten had it not been for the ever-present nagging hunger which I've given into WAY TOO MUCH recently. Oh well.

Anyway-- yea... the marathon! It's almost here! Today's Thursday. Then there'll be Friday. Then Saturday. Then, MARATHON. SO crazy. I can't believe it's almost here. It feels like yesterday when I started this whole crazy process and here I am-- almost done. CRAZY.

Anyway, through the work madness I have managed to figure out my marathon game plan...

The Hubs and I are taking the train into Chicago on Saturday morning after I do my LAST pre-marathon run (2 EASY shake out miles). We should get to Chi-town around 10:30am. We're meeting my sisters (1 of my sis's lives in Chicago, 1 is coming in from out of town!) and nephew downtown for some site-seeing. Then, we're grabbing lunch w/ 2 of my BFF's who are gonna come into downtown. From there, the Hubs and I will breakaway from the group to go to run-nerd heaven: the race expo. I am SO EXCITED for the expo. WAY too excited. I can't wait to see everything and buy lots of Chicago Marathon loot. And to PICK UP MY BIB!!!!! I can't wait to see it! Wow. That sounds SO lame, but I am STOAKED. Anyway, then we'll check into the hotel and meet back up with the fam for dinner. It'll be an early night for me. Then, Sunday- RACE DAY! I can't wait!!! I'm sure post-race I'll give the play by play of the whole experience, so consider this just the cliff's notes version.

Last night I started to get all my gear together for the weekend and made a packing list.

I blog-stalked a few people and did lots of googling and I think I have a pretty decent list. I'm REALLY I hope don't forget anything stupid. Since we're taking the train in and since the Hubs'll have to be checked out of the hotel BEFORE the marathon, we're hoping to get everything we need in ONE backpack. Yeaaaah. We'll see about that. There's just SO MUCH you MIGHT need.

I started putting stuff together and laying things out last night. I'm not even close to done, but it's a start. Here's what I've laid out so far (left to right, kinda):


-Mesh bag to keep post-race clothes in
-Cash to have with me on the course in case of an emergency
-Breakfast for pre-race (bagel thin and PB)
-Slip of paper with contact info for the Hubs (will carry it with me on the race)
-3 Chocolate Gu's
-1 pack Blach Cherry Shot Blocks
-Nuun
-Body Glide (1 big on for pre-race and 1 small one to carry with me during the race)
-Extra plastic baggies (b/c you just never know when you'll need one)
-Medical insurance card (will carry it (and my driver's licence which I just haven't laid out yet) with me on the race)
-Hair head band
-Ear covering head band that's kind crappy and throw-away-able. I don't know how chilly it's gonna be race morning and my ears get SO COLD. This might help. We'll see. I'm still debating wardrobe options.
-Hair ties. (3 of them)
-Fuel belt (it's empty right now, but I'll stuff it w/ my fuel, the $ and emergency contact info and med card/ID.

I still have all my clothes to lay out and lots of other random things. You know... shoes, Garmin, iPod, chargers... just LOTS and LOTS of crap. I hope to finish organizing it all tonight so I'll have Friday to get anything I might need from the store.

So, that's where I am now. Physcially at least. Mentally.... that's a whole other story post. Stay tuned.




4 comments:

  1. Wow - I'm impressed with your organization. My organizing plan includes packing two nights before :) I am SO FREAKIN' EXCITED FOR YOU! Seriously, I can't wait to pepper you with questions, pick your brain for advice but most of all just listen about how you did. I'm going to follow you and please know I am cheering for you ALL THE WAY! Remember, simply getting to the start line is a huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm trying to be organized so it's one less thing to stress about!!!

      Thanks for the support... I'm gonna need it! :)

      Delete
  2. I think you are set! You are very organized. I have never taken cash with me before, but it could come in handy. It is better to be over prepared than under prepared. I am really excited for you, remember to have fun and enjoy the race. You have put in the hard work and you are going to do awesome!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I hope so!!! I don't really think I'll NEED the cash... but, you never know. And, hey-- what if I see a hot dog vendor right at the end?!?!? Now, I'll be set! LOL!

      Delete