Monday, October 8, 2012

The Mess of the Transformation

"I do, after all, love a challenge. Not just the result at the end, but the drudgery in the middle, the hard work, the sweat, the mess of transformation. I love the process of getting there, especially when "there" isn't a fixed point, but the constant renaming as each finish line morphs into another start line." -Kristin Armstrong, Mile Markers blog, Runner's World.com
 
There's SO much I want to say and I will... but, for now, as I try to figure out how to articulate everything I'm feeling and thinking-- this quote sums up a lot.
 
I LOVED training. I loved the marathon and everything about yesterday... but, I'll admit-- I LOVED training more. I loved the process of seeing myself push for something that seemed so crazy.
 
The marathon was incredible. I learned a LOT. Over the first half I was already planning my next. Over the second half I was cursing and swearing I'd never do this ever again.
 
I LOVE a challenge. I love pushing myself further than I thought possible. The result at the end... also great and I love that... but, it really is the "mess of the transformation" that I live and breathe for.
 
I LOVED training. I LOVED transforming into something I never thought I could be. I just loved everything about it. I'm SO proud I put so much into this. Possibly even more proud than I am of the actual marathon. What a crazy feeling.
 
I woke up this morning more sore than I have ever been in my entire life. Hard to tell if there's any serious injury. I don't think so, but everything's so sore it's hard to tell. My legs and feet hurt the most (shocking, I know), but my whole body is tender to the touch and feels bruised. My shins are BEYOND aching. My quads and thighs feel like they're so tight they could snap at any moment. My inner thighs ache, the arches in my feet hurt like I never knew possible. I'm exhausted and SO HUNGRY.
 
I also woke up this morning literally with a smile on my face. I am SO glad I did this. I am SO proud of myself (even if I had hoped for a better time). I am SO incredibly and beyond words proud of how far I've come... all on my own two feet.
 
And, I'll admit it... I woke up this morning already thinking about #2... :)
 
 
 
Recap still to come, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment